Monday, May 21, 2012

On Final Exams, Illness, et. al.

Not my finals - thank goodness. Well, sort of my finals. The last day of real classes is always a heady mix of relief and panic. As Becky once pointed out, "finals week is when the students work harder than we do."

And it's true to a certain extent. But all good (and bad) things must come to an end and so does this schoolyear. Which has been a pretty good one. Given what had happened in previous years (maternity substitutes from hell, moving classrooms, general rebuilding), it has been a good one. Bringing order to one's professional life has certainly had positive outcomes. Most notably: I can find stuff now!

Being sick for two weeks, however, I cannot recommend at this time of year. I spent two days without voice teaching. That was an interesting exercise, and I think if I ever do teach teachers, I will make that an assignment. Just because... ;)

Reading has been confined to Rex Stout. I'm starving for books, I really am. Good books, too.

Passive entertainment has been Torchwood (which was quite accurately likened to bingeing on pork rinds) and Doctor Who. Knowing more or less how this last series of DW ends is making it very fun as I try to reverse-engineer the outcome. For some reason, however, the metaphysics of River's timeline is giving me a headache. And finally, The Silence have managed to scare the dickens out of me. Angels didn't do it for me, but The Silence did - luckily yesterday I was in a fugue state most of the day due to relapsing illness crap and so The Silence didn't frighten me as much as it could have if I'd been more aware.

Of course, the next question that faces us is the conundrum of the 9 weeks of summer. New York, personal travel, and rest. . .

And maybe I'll be able to write, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment